05 January 2009

My Molskines have arrived! What the hell am I doing with my life?


My Molskines have arrived!
Originally uploaded by Shanti, shanti.
These are my first Moleskines, something I've wanted for a long time. The diary is no problem, but I had a "first page freakout" in the journal where I couldn't decide what was befitting. So, as usual with new journals, I left the first page blank to come back to later. Of course the first thing I did put in the journal is something about food.

I've been doing some heavy reflecting on why I'm not in the food and/or anthropology business. These things have been my true loves as long as I can remember. I think I was born just a little too early. The way I see it is that, if I had learnt about computers at school, and therefore was more comfortable around technology in general (computers, digital cameras and all the bits in between) I think I would been more brave in using this stuff to get me into what I'm into...if you know what I mean. There have been people around for quite a few years now who are doing their OE with a round the world ticket, updating their blog, and then selling the story to a local newspaper. How proactive, I thought. Getting a little kickback for when they get back home. Of course, they are mostly journalism students who know about selling stories, etc. and publishing on the web. And who knows what they'll do with their lives once they get back home.

Now, the other day I come across this http://www.uncorneredmarket.com/
A young couple decides to carry around two backpacks worth of equipment and fund their never-ending wander by writing articles and taking photos. Well, duh! If I'd had the marketing know-how and writing and photography skills needed (and I really don't think it's much if you see some of the crap that gets published) I'd have done this from the start.

But, herein lies my point. It took years of observing people like me working for peanuts to save travel money, travelling extremely frugally, and then having not enough left to buy peanuts, for certain people (10+ years younger) to figure out that you can just take your job on the road with you. Well, I'll be damned! I mean, why did I just spend the last year in hell on a crappy required course to teach in the public school system when I could've been honing my photography and writing skills and learning better the ins and outs of internet based marketing.

Rant continues so sit back if you're ready for this...

I believe there are two ways to go about the work thing, work for yourself, or work for someone else. I have never met an entrepreneur who didn't have entrepreneurial parents. And I think it's the same for small business owners. I really believe that, on the whole, if you are raised by people who work for people, then you start thinking about who you want to work for when you go out into the workforce. If you are raised by entrepreneurs, you start thinking about what you want to do when you go out there. N'er the tween shall meet.

So, the thing is, I think I was meant to be an entrepreneur but I had (and still have) no idea of how to do that. I mean, ideas flood, FLOOD into my head about things that are missing/ needed in the world. I went through a stage of writing lists of this stuff, some of which has been done now. But how in the hell do you get to the 'doing' part? Let's be clear, though, I'm not a business person, I am a creator of stuff. So, maybe that means I'm not an entrepreneur, but some other kind of creature...but what? Just a thought.

Right, gotta get back to updating my CV and writing letters to future bosses now.

No comments: